History around Fylde
The area is steeped in history and across Fylde, you’ll find many historic buildings and churches that are worth exploring. Below are just a few ideas of places worth further exploration:
The Fire Engine House, Singleton (pictured) built in 1882 housed a horse drawn fire engine and was manned by local volunteers. In the event of a fire the first job was to catch the horse that was grazing in a nearby field. The fire station became redundant in 1946 but is still a focal point for the village. The village of Singleton has plenty of interesting history and more can be found here
Lytham Windmill. In 1805 Richard Cookson sought and obtained a lease from the Squire for a plot of land on which to build a ‘windy milne’. Later in 1860, when the prestigious houses in the area were being built the residents looked upon the windmill as an ‘industrial nuisance’. In 1919, a tremendous gale turned the sales despite the powerful brake and sparks ignited the woodwork, causing the windmill to be ravaged by fire with the interior being entirely gutted. The Windmill remained derelict until 1921, when it was given by the Squire to the Lytham Urban District Council. In 1989, Lytham Windmill was restored by Fylde Borough Council and opened to the public. Lytham Windmill is run in partnership with Fylde Borough Council and Lytham Heritage Group. The Windmill is situated on Lytham Green and is open to the public during the season and entry is free of charge.
The Mexico disaster – On 9th December 1886, the barque ‘Mexico of Hamburg’ with a crew of twelve, was travelling from Liverpool to South America when it was caught in a fierce storm. Lifeboats from Southport (the Eliza Fernley), Lytham (the Charles Biggs) and St Annes (the Laura Janet), responded to the distress signals. Relatives and friends waited on the shore all night and the news came that the bodies of seamen had been washed ashore. The Lytham lifeboat and crew arrived home at 3:30am, wet through and half drowned after having tied themselves to the rigging. All on board the Mexico were rescued by the Lytham lifeboat. All but two of the Eliza Fernley were lost and the entire crew of the St Annes crew (Laura Janet) perished at sea. Never in the lifeboat service has there been a disaster this great, in which 27 men of the lifeboat service lost their lives in one night, leaving 16 widows and 50 orphans in three towns a fortnight before Christmas. On 23rd May 1888 the Lifeboat Monument was unveiled in St Annes to commemorate the bravery of these crews and it still stands proudly on the promenade as a reminder of their valour.